nachtsider

The Sintua Thread

Chinese folk religion is an ancient faith of the Chinese people, older than Buddhism and Taoism.

It is not the same as Taoism, contrary to what most people think.

Although it has some overlapping aspects with Taoism, it also has many unique elements and practices that cannot be found in Taoism, such as spirit mediums (dang ki) and certain gods whose existence Taoism does not subscribe to (e.g. Na Zha).

Think of them as being like Judaism and Christianity - similar but different.

Chinese folk religion has its roots in the shamanistic rituals of the Yao tribe, whose ancient homeland corresponds to the present-day Hokkien-speaking regions of China.

It is therefore largely practiced by Hokkien (and, to a lesser extent, Teochew) people; these groups form a large chunk of the Singaporean, Taiwanese and Malaysian populations, and Chinese folk religion can thus be widely observed in said countries.

Sintua/shen tan/神� is a term that refers to the small shrines, usually home-based, that are a fundamental aspect of Chinese folk religion.

It can be used as an informal term for Chinese folk religion itself.

I have been a sintua practitioner for the past 18 years; my late teacher, a veteran dang ki of more than 30 years' experience, carefully guided me in the ways of our faith.

My focus is on the Chinese Hell deities and related matters, although I know a fair bit about other aspects of sintua, as well.

Ask me anything about sintua; I will be more than happy to answer.

k1vpnd.jpg

been enjoying your previous other threads. nice to see one started here on Sintua. am looking forward to the many numerous discussions! thank you for the sharing.

hi' date=' is 18 levels of hell equivalent to 10 courts of hell too? tks[/quote']

Each Court of Hell (except the Tenth, which handles reincarnation) has two Levels (thus totaling eighteen), which themselves contain numerous zones.

Each zone is dedicated to a certain type of rehabilitation or punishment.

The higher the number of the Court/Level, the more severe the crimes of its inmates and the more severe the punishments.

how and why u started this practice?

if Im not wrong u are in aussie and they dont really believe in this over there tio bo?

t is not the same as Taoism, contrary to what most people think.

Although it has some overlapping aspects with Taoism, it also has many unique elements and practices that cannot be found in Taoism, such as spirit mediums (dang ki) and certain gods whose existence Taoism does not subscribe to (e.g. Na Zha).

I think at least in spore's context, the reason many people including myself mixed sintua with taoism is because it seems sintua is not recognised as an independent official religion?

I think at least in spore's context, the reason many people including myself mixed sintua with taoism is because it seems sintua is not recognised as an independent official religion?

There are two main reasons.

1. People don't know better. They don't realise that Taoism excludes practices such as mediumship.

2. The Singaporean Taoist Federation forces local sintuas to register with them as members and pay fees, or risk being shut down as illegal houses of worship.

Can a deity kill a human? Someone csb moi that a medium tattooed anime girls on his body and his patron deity was severely offended and wanted to punish him. His mother rushed down to plead for him and the deity took her life instead. Gee now it really does sound csb.

1. People don't know better. They don't realise that Taoism excludes practices such as mediumship.

2. The Singaporean Taoist Federation forces local sintuas to register with them as members and pay fees, or risk being shut down as illegal houses of worship.

They tried breaking off a few years ago. Singaporean Taoist Federation I heard was force to accept them from higher up.

Can a deity kill a human? Someone csb moi that a medium tattooed anime girls on his body and his patron deity was severely offended and wanted to punish him. His mother rushed down to plead for him and the deity took her life instead. Gee now it really does sound csb.

Killing an innocent woman over Japanese cartoons?

Fairytales.

should we have list of Sintua that have medium or medium plus the timing of the sessions.

why did the fed forced sintuas to register with them if taosim and sintuas are two seperate religion? why didnt those sintuas protest?

isnt it strange that yhe taoist fed wants sintuas to be registered under them when they dont believe in mediumship?

Dr Nach is a pro. before i read his posts, i had no idea at all that sintua and taoism are different.

• Like 1

why did the fed forced sintuas to register with them if taosim and sintuas are two seperate religion? why didnt those sintuas protest?

isnt it strange that yhe taoist fed wants sintuas to be registered under them when they dont believe in mediumship?

The answer is money, plain and simple.

The Federation knows that the sintuas are what attract the devotees, not the Taoist establishments.

So they utilise the few overlaps that Chinese folk religion has with Taoism as 'grounds' for claiming that the sintuas fall under their umbrella/jurisdiction, regardless of the differences, which they conveniently turn a blind eye to, all in the name of profit.

The sintuas are unable to protest because the Federation is government-backed.

They tried breaking off a few years ago. Singaporean Taoist Federation I heard was force to accept them from higher up.

'Forced' my foot.

The Federation is fully in league with the men in white.

how and why u started this practice?

if Im not wrong u are in aussie and they dont really believe in this over there tio bo?

My involvement in sintua commenced after I underwent several experiences that opened my eyes to the existence of its gods. They have been good to me, and they have my undying gratitude. Spreading knowledge about sintua is one of my 'thank you' gestures to them.

Whatever the Aussies believe in is none of my concern. My faith is my faith.

'Forced' my foot.

The Federation is fully in league with the men in white.

The higher force need to know where, how and what the Sintua are doing. They need control. Yes they are in league with big brother.

The answer is money, plain and simple.

The Federation knows that the sintuas are what attract the devotees, not the Taoist establishments.

So they utilise the few overlaps that Chinese folk religion has with Taoism as 'grounds' for claiming that the sintuas fall under their umbrella/jurisdiction, regardless of the differences, which they conveniently turn a blind eye to, all in the name of profit.

The sintuas are unable to protest because the Federation is government-backed.

wtf, sorry i have to use tis word when money drives the religion to do silly stuff.

any idea why our gov does not recognise sintua as an official religion?