Pagan

Windows Addiction Anonymous (or Linux for Noobs) Thread

I have been sponging off the FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) community for more then a decade, while there are great leaps in the community in all aspects, the general public still hold steadfast to the believe that FOSS, like Linux, is for tech-heads and hackers. That cannot be any further than the truth in this day and age.

thumb_2.jpg

thumb_3.jpg

thumb_5.jpg

thumb_7.jpg

thumb_12.jpg

thumb_13.jpg

thumb_15.jpg

What you're seeing above are screenshots from one of the most popular linux distros (short for distribution, i.e. version) today. It is not the prettiest distro out there but it's good balance between user friendliness and computing power.

The aim of this thread to share information so that we can break from the addiction of non-FOSS software. Please help me feel less like a 吃软饭 member of the FOSS community by contributing to this thread!

p.s. This is the outreach thread, the more tech-head threads will most likely end up in the technology sub-forum

• Like 2

Guide: Your first "Linux Live" experience

What you will need:

1) one USB thumbdrive with 8gb and above

2) Download and install Universal USB Installer

3) Download Linux Mint 18.1 iso

For life-long windows users, diving head first into linux is too terrible an idea to entertain. Fortunately, the FOSS community understands that, and developed many Linux "Live" CDs. A "Live" CD is a bootable CD that allows you to boot up into Linux, without the need to install it into your PC/Laptop. A lot of laptops no longer come with CDroms, but you can still make a bootable USB to the same effect, here are the steps for you to do so.

1) format the thumbdrive to Fat32 or NTFS

2) run Universal USB installer

Universal-USB-Installer.png

3) Select Linux Mint in the Step 1 dropdown box

4) Click on browse for Step 2 and select the Linux Mint iso file

5) Make sure your thumbdrive drive letter is selected in Step 3

6) for Step 4, push the sliding bar to the max

7) click create

8) Allow the program to finishing creating your bootable thumbdrive

GXGX you have just created your first bootable Linux Live thumbdrive!

Now comes the tricky part, try to reboot with the thumbdrive still in plugged in. If you're using an older laptop with windows 7 and below, you should have no problems booting into linux, if you're using windows 8.1 and above, you might notice that your bootup sequence totally ignores your thumbdrive. This is because Intel introduced UEFI a few years back and Microsoft used it to block other OS from booting from these PC/Laptops.

To overcome this, you will need to go into your BIOS and switch UEFI Boot Mode to "CSM" or "Legacy". As this is very hardware dependent, I'll leave you to google up how to do it for your own system.

Try it and tell me how it works out for you :)

• Like 3

Good share! More more! It's been donkey years since I last played with Linux liao... :(

I thank win 10 for giving me the push to go Linux cause I lazy type

Win10 and it privacy it self aware installation and stealing my bandwidth for it win update for other user, is the main reason

@Pagan

Do share say your HDD already got Linux mint and you want to install another OS to make it dual boot.

How to do that? As in how to install the os and config the dual boot

I thank win 10 for giving me the push to go Linux cause I lazy type

Win10 and it privacy it self aware installation and stealing my bandwidth for it win update for other user, is the main reason

Can be disabled. Look for Spybot Anti-Beacon and search Google for some good articles on how to disable all that M$ crap. I'm on the edge of giving up liao. Every update M$ just kept giving themselves more rights and abilities.

@Pagan

Do share say your HDD already got Linux mint and you want to install another OS to make it dual boot.

You either need two separate HDDs/SDDs/SSHD (SSHD is two drive already) or one HDD/SDD that is partitioned into at least two. Install the OSes and subsequently a boot manager will be installed by either Linus/Windoze...

Can be disabled. Look for Spybot Anti-Beacon and search Google for some good articles on how to disable all that M$ crap. I'm on the edge of giving up liao. Every update M$ just kept giving themselves more rights and abilities.

I know but by default every time there a window update it will reset whatever setting it updated or related to the update back to default

And with the latest creator, as posted by many on YouTube, it will reset everything back to default as confirmed and proven by them

Also to add, each time there a window update the window registry change which mean you have to wait for software like Spybot Anti-Beacon, win10 killer etc.... To update their software to match to the latest window registry or other rules modified or add in my Microsoft

Lastly some of the settings cannot be disabled the only way is to go to it window registry to modified it.

Those youtuber also said even if you disable down of the settings, it is not really off as proven and they show the change log, the text which what ms said etc.....

As such Linux is the way

• Like 1

Win10 shows that a large about of people are clueless about rights and freedoms.

Even though you bought the software M$ is trying to extend their rights over your rights, the about of rights M$ have over your Win10 installed computer is incredible and majority of the dumb pple still wasting their time over stuff like facebook and entertainment.

They can

1)Obtain info on what you use and analyse your behaviour

2)Push software onto your computer when they want to

Come to think of it... i only use my laptop for web surfing, some occasional documents, viewing videos and listening to mp3. I know all these can be done in Linux no issues.

I also have a few games like BF1, Overwatchand and HOTS. I wonder if the games are supported in Linux or should I use VM inside Linux?

You should use Rufus to create bootable media in EFI Mode.

:o Thanks for the tip! I haven't used Rufus since Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux dropped it from their list, didn't know they have EFI/UEFI support now, will try and update the guide :D

@Pagan

You can do that with the Live CD thumbdrive created from my guide above, it is somewhat tricky and you need to be prepared in case you make a mistake halfway, it could wipe out your windows partition (^ _ ^ ")

I will write a guide on that a few more guides down, just so that I don't freak out 1st time noobs. If you want to explore that first, here's the guide Guide To Install Linux Mint Alongside Windows

I suggest that you backup your data first, extract your windows key and make a windows installation disk with Rufus that @ArcticCheetah suggested (you'll need to search for the windows iso online, or just, you know, climb a hill..)

• Like 2

Win10 shows that a large about of people are clueless about rights and freedoms.

Even though you bought the software M$ is trying to extend their rights over your rights, the about of rights M$ have over your Win10 installed computer is incredible and majority of the dumb pple still wasting their time over stuff like facebook and entertainment.

They can

1)Obtain info on what you use and analyse your behaviour

2)Push software onto your computer when they want to

For over a decade I had to suffer as a Windows environment developer, just because Sinkieland is run by idiots. In a pencil pusher position now, so I can use linux at work and no one can touch me for it.

Come to think of it... i only use my laptop for web surfing, some occasional documents, viewing videos and listening to mp3. I know all these can be done in Linux no issues.

I also have a few games like BF1, Overwatchand and HOTS. I wonder if the games are supported in Linux or should I use VM inside Linux?

Sadly, not many major game developers want to port their games over to Linux, though Valve did push for it in a major way when they released their own distro SteamOS + Linux on Steam A lot of people still dual boot just to play games and nothing else, most other things can be done in linux.

Hopefully with more people using linux, the labels will change their minds :)

I suggest that you backup your data first, extract your windows key and make a windows installation disk with Rufus that @ArcticCheetah suggested (you'll need to search for the windows iso online, or just, you know, climb a hill..)

The Windoze ISOs can now be downloaded directly from M$.

Download Windows 10

The Windoze ISOs can now be downloaded directly from M$.

Download Windows 10

@Admin Boss, you chui pattern ah, how come his normal link will end up directing me to viglink?

@DynamiteZerg I tried that a few weeks back, the speed was so slow, and the download kept breaking so much, I went to climb a hill (^_^)

@Admin Boss, you chui pattern ah, how come his normal link will end up directing me to viglink?

@DynamiteZerg I tried that a few weeks back, the speed was so slow, and the download kept breaking so much, I went to climb a hill (^_^)

no leh his links is the normal MS links.

i had viglinks installed, but didnt know it was working

o well..

does it save my programs settings into my thumbdrive???

If you set persistent file size (step 4 in UUI), that's how much programs and settings it can save :)

In an upcoming guide, I will show how to install Linux Mint from one thumbdrive into other, so that you can use the full volume and not limited to the 4gb max file size limit in UUI (This is a Fat32 problem, not UUI, will explain later)

If you set persistent file size (step 4 in UUI), that's how much programs and settings it can save :)

In an upcoming guide, I will show how to install Linux Mint from one thumbdrive into other, so that you can use the full volume and not limited to the 4gb max file size limit in UUI (This is a Fat32 problem, not UUI, will explain later)

no wonder i can't install any apps lah.... says some serious errors.

no wonder i can't install any apps lah.... says some serious errors.

I remember that Linux Mint should have persistent file (not all distros have that in UUI), maybe you can run through the guide again :)

If not, I will write the installation guide after the next one :)