Team.Life

Apple Watch has another record quarter as Wearable market hits $5.1Billion

Apple Watch continues to perform extremely well for Apple: 

During Apple’s Q2 2019 earnings call, both Apple CEO Tim Cook and CFO Luca Maestri touted the success of Apple Watch during the quarter, revealing that three-quarters of Apple Watch sales are to first-time buyers.

With almost all Apple Watch customers being first time buyers, it's obvious that Apple has managed to get the marketing behind Apple Watch done right. Providing useful, practical, and desirable features in a hardware package that looks great. 

Apple says that the second quarter of 2019 marks the best non-holiday quarter ever for Apple Watch. In total, Apple’s wearables, home, and accessories category set a new March quarter record with $5.1 billion in revenue. That’s up from $3.94 billion in the year-ago quarter.

Because Apple Watch is bundled up along with home and accessories it's not that clear how much of the revenue bump is just from Apple Watch, but it is safe to say that AirPods, which is bundled under accessories (don't quote me on that) also played a role. 

Keep in mind through, that Apple Watch is the best selling watch. Period.

Tim Cook said during the call that this makes Apple’s wearables business the size of a Fortune 200 company on its own. Meanwhile, Luca Maestri touted that wearables sales were up 50 percent year-over-year.

Apple does not release exact sales figures for Apple Watch, like most of their other products. But if Luca is to be believed, Apple Watch sales significantly increased. Most likely thanks to the release of the Series 4 Apple Watch and the price reduction to the previous Series 3 model. 

I am the owner of a Series 2 and I love the thing. Even for the second generation of Apple Watch I can get 2 days of battery life. I love the water resistance down to 50m of water, fitness tracking, and proximity authentication features integrated with the Mac. I also appreciate that Apple Watch is also a glorified iPod (w/ optional cellular now) when paired with wireless headphones.

Newer models have even more attractive health features like fall detection (extremely important and helpful for the elderly community), the ability to perform an ECG, as well as monitor your heart rate for irregularities. Apple Watch was conceived as a health wearable first, and it has fallen into that roll extremely well in its 4th iteration. 

What do you think about the Apple Watch? Is it just a gimmick that nobody needs? Or is it a device that has saved lives and has merit?