Sign in to follow this  
The_King

'When will you die?' Hong Kong leader grilled at press conference

When Hong Kong's leader Carrie Lam appeared before the press on Tuesday, she appeared to be expecting to deliver a brief statement and move on. Instead she faced a media onslaught.

No sooner were her prepared remarks finished than the full-frontal assault -- in both Cantonese and English -- began.

"You blame your own political misjudgement on others, and refuse to acknowledge your mistakes," one journalist said.

"When will you accept political responsibility to end citizens' fear?... When will you be willing to step down? When will you tell the police to stop?," the reporter from Hong Kong's public broadcaster RTHK asked.

Before Lam could respond, the reporter added an admonition: "You asked me in the past to take my job seriously, so please answer me seriously as well."

The embattled Beijing-backed leader began to reply but more questions were shouted.

"Citizens are afraid of you and the police, can you answer the question?"

The combative press conference was an indication of the rising tensions in the city after a weekend of violence that left dozens of people with injuries, some of them serious.

Under the "One country, two systems" principle, the media in Hong Kong enjoys freedoms unheard of in mainland China. A broad spectrum of political leanings are represented, from fiesty independent elements to strongly pro-Beijing outlets.

Lam at times appeared caught off-guard by the intensity of the questioning, with reporters repeatedly interrupting her and accusing her of failing to respond.

"Please don't interrupt," an official pleaded as reporters shouted over Lam.

At one point she paused, looked down, and then looked up again at reporters with her eyebrows raised as they continued to fire questions at her.

At other moments, she sipped from a glass of water as the barrage of questions continued.

In her opening remarks she called for calm.

"I again ask everyone to put aside your differences and calm down," Lam said, who appeared to be on the verge of tears at one point.

"Take a minute to think, look at our city, our home, do you all really want to see it pushed into an abyss?"

Lam defended the police against accusations of excessive force over the weekend, when rounds of tear gas were fired into subway stations and on crowded shopping streets.

She said she was "heartbroken" by reports of serious injuries, but offered no concessions to the demonstrators and insisted that police were facing "extremely difficult circumstances".

"This question has been answered," she repeated as she was pressed on whether Beijing would allow her to fully withdraw a now-suspended bill allowing extradition to the mainland -- a key protester demand.

And the barrage continued as she abruptly left the podium: "Do you have a conscience?" shouted one journalist.

"Mrs Lam, many citizens have been asking recently when you will die," yelled another.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/die-hong-kong-leader-grilled-press-conference-060209952.html

• Haha 2

the brits in the foreign office must be laughing at the post-handover hk govt. everyday.

brexit doesnt look that tough a job now.

• Haha 2

carrie has remained composed for most of the time, personally I wouldn't be able to take shit like dat

she must be thinking of joining her son in the UK after her term ends

meanwhile CY Leung is like GCT still want to chap one leg after retire 

Just now, dysentry said:

carrie has remained composed for most of the time, personally I wouldn't be able to take shit like dat

she must be thinking of joining her son in the UK after her term ends

meanwhile CY Leung is like GCT still want to chap one leg after retire 

lame cheng is lame alrdy, to poisonous to be promoted to be vice chairperson of pcc.

leung is next-in-line to be pcc vice chairperson, so of cos he will talk cock.

giordano stock price all-time low 555

should cry for jimmy lai instead

this traitor will kena jialat, head grow too big 

oredi removed from village register

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DragoonForce said:

Da Tanks will Roll in Soon

CPC troll the world lah lol 

they oredi take down jimmy lai and hsbc ceo and freeze bank accounts 

cathay pacific suspend 2 pilots and sack 2 ground staff 

we oredi hit a turning point as most are turned off by airport beedio footage

Western influenced and paid press already discussed tactics and laid a trap for her.

Just keep shouting questions at her non stop, dont want to hear her reply. Then can write that she got no answer, no leadership and close to tears. Well played lol.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tacore said:

Western influenced and paid press already discussed tactics and laid a trap for her.

Just keep shouting questions at her non stop, dont want to hear her reply. Then can write that she got no answer, no leadership and close to tears. Well played lol.

when tiongs cannot solve internal issues, they point to outside forces.

no wonder they r condemn to have violent regime changes in the 5k yrs history.

Edited by socrates469bc
  • Like 2

As much as I think the CCP has the upper hand, I doubt they dare to do anything. If force were to be used then HK, the home of trillions of dollars, will be laid bare. Any business that is not beholden to the Beijing will leave. Those that stay will have to compete with the Jack Ma for the mainland market. And, they will lose.

I do not see a good ending for this. HK will be a washout and with Shanghai' stock market cesspool, I think China will not be a major force any longer. Not forgetting the trade war can still twist and turn. Trump is holding back his expletives because he is hoping for a trade deal in sept or oct. but he also know it is not happening anytime soon. So, he may go on the rampage again in order to win the re-election.

Make sure you guys have liquid assets. let the sb70s go and queue for their condos and their coe.

You know things are really bad when the PM talks about global warming when a recession is eminent!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Satki said:

As much as I think the CCP has the upper hand, I doubt they dare to do anything. If force were to be used then HK, the home of trillions of dollars, will be laid bare. Any business that is not beholden to the Beijing will leave. Those that stay will have to compete with the Jack Ma for the mainland market. And, they will lose.

I do not see a good ending for this. HK will be a washout and with Shanghai' stock market cesspool, I think China will not be a major force any longer. Not forgetting the trade war can still twist and turn. Trump is holding back his expletives because he is hoping for a trade deal in sept or oct. but he also know it is not happening anytime soon. So, he may go on the rampage again in order to win the re-election.

Make sure you guys have liquid assets. let the sb70s go and queue for their condos and their coe.

You know things are really bad when the PM talks about global warming when a recession is eminent!

heng, in liquid assets i trust.

1997 taught the then-xdd me a valuable lesson on investment strategy.

if u believe in properties, better buy bank shares.

i rather buy shares than properties since shares dont need to pay taxes when disposed but property need to pay annual property tax and possible capital gain tax upon disposal.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

heng, in liquid assets i trust.

hey, that word sound familiar

me is in gold i trust

Edited by The_King
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Sibei ballsy the journalist!!

actually very disgusted by her question

the journalist no proper upbringing 

On 8/14/2019 at 10:43 PM, The_King said:

if i am her son, i force her to quit

Not so easy. Most likely being tekan by pooh bear xi

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tacore said:

Dun tink West has so much budget... Sounds more like diversion tactics...

10 hours ago, XianGe said:

the west wont waste money to sabo hk when lame cheng has alrdy self-imploded hk and by extension, the chinese core leadership for them.

mad-rational Trump has been very sarcastic lately to Emperor Xi. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, XianGe said:

No worries, CIA well funded and got good track record

1 minute ago, tacore said:

No worries, CIA well funded and got good track record

that means Emperor Xi installed a cia agent as hk chief executive.

cia is really jin sakti!!!!!

On 8/15/2019 at 7:41 PM, socrates469bc said:

when tiongs cannot solve internal issues, they point to outside forces.

no wonder they r condemn to have violent regime changes in the 5k yrs history.

standard leh, US, UK, Germany, Japan, India, Malaysia and SG also sama sama. except they no 5k yrs history

2 minutes ago, tacore said:

standard leh, US, UK, Germany, Japan, India, Malaysia and SG also sama sama. except they no 5k yrs history

just shown ur stupidity on geopolitics.

these countries have democratic elections.

so power transfer will be peaceful.

latest example is malaysia whereby a 60yr ruling coalition is voted out of office.

2 minutes ago, socrates469bc said:

but lame cheng is born and bred in hk, 50 cent.

chill la, like that can also become 50cent. no wonder hk protesters become so angry and hamtump those who.have opposing viewpoint. same view is democracy and freedom, different view is 50 cent

• Haha 1